Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Treat Yourself Tuesday

Since finding out I have Emphysema (as well as some other health issues) I have been making some long over due changes in an effort to try and heal my body (to an extent). I do this in addition to the 4 different medicines I have (I hate medicine). A year ago I quit Cigarettes. My son and I rarely eat out so we do a lot of home cooking. I have started eliminating processed foods out of my diet (like canned food, etc). I have cut down to 1 cup of soda a day (but it can't have high fructose corn syrup). The most recent thing I have done is have organic product delivered for me bi-weekly from Ripe Organics.

I had gotten a highly discounted box my first week from one of those deal sites and can I say I was impressed. For $13 I got:

Broccoli
Lettuce
sweet potato's
onion
avocado
blueberries
apples
pears
oranges

This weeks my box will have

Leeks 1/2 lb

Lettuce, Green Leaf 1
Peppers, Red Bell 1
Potatoes, Russet 1 lb
Watercress, Bunch 1
Apples, Pink Lady 2
Bananas 1 lb
Mango 1
Tangelo Minneolas 4

I am getting the small box if you can believe it and regular price is $26. This is organic produce delivered people. Let me tell you this produce was beautiful, way better quality then you find in the grocery store and it was all delicious.

Now I know Organic is a costly choice. Many people just do not think they can afford it. I save so much at the grocery store and drugstores that I can now justify that expense. Using coupons and Register Rewards (Thanks Walgreens and Jewel) have been a godsend to my budget. I went from spending $600 at the grocery store only to a budget of $240 for grocery store and drug stores (which I often come in below budget).

Also sign up for those deal sites that are so popular now. You may find a deal like I did to get you started. Here are some of my favorites:
 
Groupon (great one for Chicago today 16x20 gallery wrapped canvas from your photo $45)
Living Social
Gaggle of Chicks
Dealpulp
Tippr
Buy with me
 
The best thing is many of these sites have sign up bonuses and offer credits if you get others to do the deals as well. I suggest checking out Hip2Save. She is really good about letting you know of new sites and what kind of credit they are offering as well as ways to use the credit.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is for you to ask your questions or make a comment