Wednesday, December 22, 2010

How can you do it all

This is the question that I get most. My answer is simple I don't. You will find yourself going crazy and broke trying to get every deal and steal. A common step for someone just starting to learn how to be a smarter shopper is the notebook. The notebook is a place where you make a list of the commonly consumed products for your household. Here you can keep track of the cost of the items both regularly priced as well as sale prices. Remember being informed lets you know what is a true deal and what is smoke and mirrors.

When faced with a good deal that is not in my book I ask myself several questions:
1. Is this a new product that my family will use?
2. Can someone I know use this?
3. Can I donate it to food banks, shelters or the military?
If I can answer yes to just one of those questions I will go ahead and get it. I am not that person who is trying to buy a hundred of anything even if we do use it. Shopping for deals can be addictive and fun but remember you are trying to save money not find more things to spend it on. I have seen many folks buying things that will just sit and collect dust because they have no use for it.  Notice number 3, with this economy and so many people struggling it is great to donate items. Call around locally and find out who takes what, or who can use what. Think about your kids teachers, with school budgets slashed, the teachers are coming out of pocket for basic supplies. Our troops fighting for our freedom, many places (in Hickory Hills Stagg HS and the Village Hall has both done collections) are actively seeking items and will give you a list if you request it.

I find it is just good karma to share the wealth if you will. My step mom taught me in Thai Culture when someone is lucky (like winning money, or scoring great deals etc), you need to spread the luck around or else you may lose it. Back when I got serious about saving this was my life. I would be broke (like down to nothing) 3/4 through the month. I was frequently skipping 2-3 meals a day to ensure my growing son would have enough to last. It was no way to live. Now I have plenty of everything and then some. If I stopped shopping now, we would have enough food to last at least 2 months and personal care products for a year (except TP and PT I got 3 months worth cause there are always sales). I have been able to donate and give to family and friends AND I spend way less money. Since I have, let me tell you the blessings keep coming. Dont get me wrong, there are things I need like a Pulmonologist that will take my insurance, etc. However, over all I know that I have been so blessed with lots of good things coming my way.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is for you to ask your questions or make a comment