Friday, September 17, 2010

Coupons and Dilemmas

So I have been gone for a little while, health and personal issues. Since I have been gone Dominick's has completely changed their E coupon policy and coupon policies in general. This move has many in the couponing world in a tizzy. There is a contingent of people insistent that Dominick's is shooting itself in the foot. By denying couponers the so called right of free stuff, as they have allowed in the past, many are predicting the death of the chain. BUT is it fair to blame Dominick's. We all know, or should know, that you can only use 1 manufacturer coupon per item, unless the coupon states otherwise. Dominick's e coupon program was really generous allowing multiple e coupons per item AND a paper coupon too. I know I took advantage of this, and it resulted in tons of free and low cost items. Now Dominicks wants to enforce the rules that have always been there and people are angry. Why, we knew we were beating the system. Where does this entitlement attitude come from? Every couponers mantra is they get reimbursed for them PLUS $.08 but do they really? I did a little research on this and here is what I found... PG Coupon Redemption Policy . Manufacturers are very specific on how where and when these coupons can be redeemed. The acceptance for coupons is at the sole discretion of the manufacturer. Realisticly Dominick's is probably not being reimbursed for a lot of these freebies and low cost items. Considering people have PUBLICLY POSTED deals detailing how to achieve these great freebies is it any wonder the manufacturer caught wind and put a stop to the practice. Furthermore, we complain about higher prices, well if my theory is correct, we may be the cause of it. All the public posts about living off garage sales full of couponing scores, all the free how to guides. We told on ourselves and know we want to take our toys and go home cause Dominick's may not want to pay for our families to eat anymore.

Dont get me wrong, I am a couponer and I have gotten lots of savings off the e coupons in the past. Now I am re-evaluating my own behavior. I am starting to believe that what I was doing was a violation of my own ethics. All my freebies are being paid for by someone down the line, most likely with higher prices in general.

Maybe instead on blaming Dominick's we all need to be realistic and learn we don't really know what happens once we hand in our coupons at the store. We assume the retailer will be reimbursed but they most likely are not (Why else enact such strict policies).

Anyways food for thought. Would love to hear some others take on it, If anyone is still reading this that is. lol

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is for you to ask your questions or make a comment