Monday, January 3, 2011

Let's Bzz about phones shall we.

As you know I am a bzzagent and because of that I get free things to try out and talk about, from time to time. You should sign up this program is worth it.

So my latest bzz campaign was for the HTC HD7. I just knew that I would love it more then my Dymo Label maker (I really love it, can you tell lol). I got my new machine on Friday. New Phone, New year I was feelin it. So I charge the phone and switch the SIM. Here is what happened next.

For years I have had the HTC/Tmobile G1 (I got this when it came out). I love the droid platform, and the MOD's made by some brilliant individuals. I am not a huge Windows fan so I was a little curious as to how I would react to the OS (operating system) switch. Once the phone was charged I started playing. Let start with what I love shall we:

Netflix on a phone with a great screen for viewing. The HD7 is said to have the biggest viewing screens of all the smart phones. Because of that it is a bit larger then your typical phone but overall worth the trade off IMHO. Netflix I cant say enough I just love them. We stream Netflix on the Wii, my son has it on his Ipod and now I have it on a phone. Woot! I immediately watched a couple movies (with headphones, my icky teen was having a sleepover) and was so excited thinking of the possibilities.

Tmobile TV - This was another feature I was excited for, and it is a good one. I had hoped that it would have channels like lifetime or Food Network but no. I should be able to catch Jersey Shore 3 on it if I happen to have to leave the house when its on. Dont judge, lol!

Xbox Live- This was another feature that I was excited to play with. This is also where any games you download will be.

Zune - I love using my phone as an MP3 player. Nothing like some upbeat music to assist you in doing chores. Set up was pretty easy and free. Getting my current MP3 collection to the phone was easy,

Now for what I didn't like:

The radio (speaker, sound system) in this phone is pretty poor. To get decent sound you have to use the head phones. Speakerphone Sucks (sorry no nice way to say it). You can only hear the person on the other end when you hold it to your ear.

Here was a big one for me. You cant change your wallpaper or chose a song for a ringtone. Look HTC/Tmobile it is 2011 (2010 when the phone was made). Yall should know by now that people like to change those things. So you leave me stuck with some lame generic Tmobile ringtones and dont even have an app for that.

The marketplace. There are two an HTC hub and the Microsoft marketplace which has all your apps. I was not impressed and found it difficult to search for things. For example, I typed in ringtone manager and got ringtones (umm, no I can make my own for free).

Now lets talk about using the phone as a phone. I called my mom on New Years on the phone, Here is the conversation:

Me: Hey mom calling you from the new phone
Mom: Oh how d..............
looked at phone call was on hold took it off hold to
Mom: helloooo?
Me: Hey I don't know what happened
Mom: Wel...................
Me: Hello? Hello? (looked at the phone and showed I was NOT on a call) So now I am wondering if this is a side effect to some new meds I am on. Next I hear that annoying Tmobile jingle look its mom.
Mom: What is wrong with that new phone of yours?
Me: I have no idea, but I never had this problem with my G1, but I really love the Netflix and Tmobile TV
Mom: Why would you want to watch a movie on your phone its so small it.....
Me: Hello? Hello? Enter annoying Tmobile jingle here
Mom: Ok this is getting annoying
Me: Let me try speaker phone, ok can you hear me? I think whats happening is my cheek is hitting the end call button.
Mom: Hello, Hello?
Me: Mom can you hear me?
Mom: Hello, Hello?
So I take her off speaker phone try and tell her about the end button when it hangs up again. At this point I put the Sim back in my G1 so I can have a decent conversation, after all it is a phone.

Dont get me wrong I am not done playing with it. New phones take time to adjust to but I would be lying if I wasn't more then a little disappointed in Tmobile, HTC and Microsoft (well I expect it from them, but the other two). Some of the immediate issues like impossible phone conversations should've been thought out a little more. I normally love HTC and they tend to lead the market in phones (great customer service as well). So we shall see, this is not an easy transition, but it makes a great IPod rival.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is for you to ask your questions or make a comment